Skip to main content

Exchange your home

You could find a new home sooner by swapping with another Manchester City Council tenant, or a tenant of another social housing landlord in Manchester or other parts of the country.

There are some circumstances in which we would not allow you to exchange your home. Click below for details:

Circumstances in which we would not let you swap

These could include:

1. Where proceedings for possession of either property has been begun (which includes service of a Notice of Seeking
Possession) on one or more grounds which include Grounds 1-6, Part 1, Schedule 2 Housing Act 1985

2. Where a Court Order has already been granted or applied for for re-possession of your property.

3. Where a property would be substantially too large for your needs (according to Manchester City Council's Rehousing Rules).

4. Where a property would be unsuitable for your needs (according to Manchester City Council's Rehousing Rules).

5. Where a property is occupied by the applicant as a service tenancy.

6. Where a landlord is a registered charity, Housing Association or Housing Trust and its lettings policy restricts the applicant from being considered for the property.

7. Where property has features designed for people with disabilities, or people of a certain age, and the exchange would result in no one with the relevant needs living there.

8. Where the landlord is a Housing Association or Housing Trust which lets property only to people whose circumstances (not financial) make it especially difficult for them to find accomodation but the proposed new occupant is not in this position.

9. Where the property is for letting to those with special needs and where special facilities are provided (e.g. warden controlled)

If you're not sure whether we'll allow you to swap or not, please contact us.

Find a swap online

Use House Exchange to look for a swap.

On Facebook? Check out the Housing Swap Shop

If you find another tenant who is willing to swap homes with you, you must contact us to request to exchange your home. If they are a Manchester City Council tenant, they must do this too. Use the button below to make the request online:


What happens next? 

If we agree to the exchange, your housing officer will arrange to visit your property to check the condition and sort out any outstanding repairs. If everything is fine, the swap can go ahead. The time scale for an exchange is usually around 4 - 6 weeks.