Skip to main content

Help to live independently

Equipment and adaptations

If you or anyone in your household struggles to get around your home, is disabled or has a visual or hearing impairment, you may be able to get help. You could get equipment to help make things easier, like a walking frame or bath seat. It may also be possible to fit your home with specialist adaptations, such as grab-rails, stairlifts or even a new bath.

To apply for this help, call Manchester City Council's Service for Independent Living on 0161 234 5001. They will assess your situation to see what help can be provided.

Moving somewhere easier for you

If your own home is not suitable to be adapted, or you would like to move to a different home that is better for your needs, you can register for a new home. 

Any medical needs you may have will be taken into consideration when you register.

Register for a Home


Retirement housing

Are you over 60? Looking for a home that gives you comfort, support and security?

Our Retirement Housing


Housing Options for Older People (HOOP)

There are lots of services available to help people to continue to live in their own homes as they get older. Likewise, there are lots of new retirement housing options available to give you support as well as independence too.

The HOOP website uses a special questionnaire to help you weigh up your options and decide which choices may be best for you.

Visit the HOOP website


Housing support to live independently

If you need support to live in your home, take a look at the information on the Manchester City Council website:

Housing support to live independently